3 2 1… Launch Homeschool – Goals for Kindergarten

Announcement: We have started Kindergarten in our home!

Uhhh, wait… Doesn’t school usually begin at the end of August?

Yep, sure does. 🙂

But, since baby #3 will be arriving in July we have decided to get a head start.

After much prayer I have made some decisions as to how we will approach this school year.

Here are our goals for Kindergarten:

I want it to be God glorifying – My first and foremost goal is that homeschooling would be rooted in glorifying God within the hearts and minds of my precious children. Character study and scripture memory are a high priority and will be woven into our daily rhythms of activity and play.

I want it to be joyful – I want this first year to establish a precedent of fun and adventure in learning at home. From reading, to baking, to exploring nature, to even daily chores, I want learning to be exciting and enjoyable.

I want it be memorable – I want to stuff this season full of memories. I want it to be a time of creating moments with my family that we can look back on and treasure forever.

I want it to be simple – This is a MUST! I’m not a teacher – I have absolutely no clue what I’m doing. For this year the curriculum needs to be easily adaptable to our schedule and one which will allow for a smooth introduction and transition into homeschooling.

I want it to be effective – At this age their minds are sponges. Therefore, I want to focus on soaking up scripture and biblical concepts as well as phonics and developing reading skills. I believe these are foundational building blocks in the learning process.

After prayer, research and talking with many other home-school families in our church, we have chosen My Father’s World for our curriculum. Kindergarten through 3rd grade focuses on learning about God and His world, how to read and write, and an overview of history from Creation to the present.

I’m confident this will be a great resource to assist our family in reaching these goals for Kindergarten.

So here we go!

1st day of kindergarten

13 comments for “3 2 1… Launch Homeschool – Goals for Kindergarten

1. February 17, 2016 at 7:35 pm

First of all, what a cutie! I think those are great goals and you’ve got the right idea for Kindergarten. I think you will love homeschooling too. Praying for a great start for you!

• February 19, 2016 at 6:36 pm

Thanks so much for praying! That means a lot 🙂 We are very excited and are getting off to a great start!

2. February 18, 2016 at 10:53 am

Yay! Congrats and prayers all around, what an exciting journey. One of my deepest desires is to homeschool once I start having kids. I know several godly families who have completed the homeschool thing successfully and I’m definitely excited to see how you get started, for educational purposes 🙂 Go you!

Liked by 1 person

• February 19, 2016 at 6:38 pm

Thanks, Molly!!! It has been my desire also to homeschool my children – so I’m so grateful that the Lord has provided me with the ability to do so! Blessings to you! Thanks so much for stopping by.

Liked by 1 person

3. Anonymous
    February 18, 2016 at 1:21 pm

Woohoo! Welcome to the club! I’ve been homeschooling 6 years now and wouldn’t change it for anything. The time is too short as it is with our kids! May God bless and prosper your journey!

• February 19, 2016 at 6:38 pm

Amen! TIme is already flying by. Want to soak up as much of this season as I can. Before I know it they will be all grown up.

4. February 18, 2016 at 11:14 pm

Oh how I remember….enjoy!!! 🙂

Liked by 1 person

• February 19, 2016 at 6:39 pm

I’m sure I will be leaning lots on your years of wisdom! 😉

5. February 19, 2016 at 4:19 am

You are a brave soul Megan!

Liked by 1 person

6. February 20, 2016 at 7:56 am

Megan that is awesome. Kindergarten is such a precious time. It’s a great time to read them lots of fun stories. Reading to children is the number one thing to do to develop reading skills. My son who is seven can tell if a sentence doesn’t sound right. He has heard me read to him ever since he was a baby. I love your hopes and desires. Great list for focus. Your post helps me refocus on my own personal reasons why we home school. I look forward to reading about your adventure. You are going to do great.

7. March 25, 2016 at 5:23 pm

Megan,
    Have you seen Tadeo Turtle? It’s my children’s book for ages 2 and up. And my new one is almost ready for publication The Kingdom of Thrim. Both come with activities. And extended activities. http://www.janiscox.com/information/
    Blessings,
    Janis

Liked by 1 person

• March 25, 2016 at 7:39 pm

Awesome! Thanks Janis! I have not heard of those but will take a look 🙂

I would love to hear your thoughts!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s