Content With Less – The Blessings of a Small Home

Blessings of a small home

“You need to watch your attitude.”

This phrase must have a replay button connected to my mouth – and my children seem to know exactly where to find it.

I have caught myself saying this over and over to them the past couple weeks.

But the thing is, I probably need to be saying it to myself a whole lot more than I have been to them.

I’ve been seriously lacking motivation in my role as homemaker. The other day when I finally figured out that I should take my apathy to the Lord, I almost immediately heard this same phrase replay in my mind.

“You need to watch your attitude.”

(sigh)

It’s so true.

I can’t STAND this kitchen, it has zero counter space.

We REALLY need another bedroom!

I would love to get my sewing machine out but – oh that’s right….I HAVE NO SPACE FOR IT!

Where in the world am I going to put all the things I’m need for the new baby?

These are just a few of the thoughts that have been streaming through mind over the past few days.

A bad attitude sure doesn’t leave much aptitude for gratitude.

My house really is not that small. However, it is definitely smaller than what we came from.

So, I’m setting out on a little mission. I’m going to choose thankfulness over thanklessness. Gratitude over attitude.

I’m resolving to be content with less and focus on the blessings of a small home:

Less to clean

A smaller home means less to clean. Less counter space to wipe; less floors to mop; fewer windows to clean; fewer toilets to scrub.

Less to be watchful over

With two small children in the home and another on the way, I want to be ever mindful of what each child is doing and where they are at any given point during the day. A smaller home means fewer places for little feet to wander and get into things. It also means there are less areas to check for lights, fans and other things that may have been left on.

Less to budget

A larger home doesn’t only mean more space, it usually means more monthly income to budget for rent/mortgage. Living in a smaller house is a reason why I don’t have to work and am able to be home with my children. I’m so grateful for this time I have to be with them!

Less to clutter

Give me some space and I’ll fill it with clutter – that’s how things work around here. Less space means things must be put away a whole lot faster than they do in a larger house.

Less effort to create the atmosphere

With a larger home, it seemed as though I was working harder to construct the atmosphere I was aiming to create. Here, I can hang a couple pictures on the walls, light a candle, and voila! My Christmas decor this year consisted of one lighted garland, a couple stockings, and a simple banner I made out of some hemp twine, construction paper, and a sharpie. Simple!

Lets connect further!
Come visit me on Facebook and Instagram!

7 comments for “Content With Less – The Blessings of a Small Home

1. January 25, 2016 at 5:34 pm

2. wmunsell11
    January 27, 2016 at 6:37 am

I want your words, “Gratitude over attitude,” to flash on with neon lights whenever I am tempted to wallow in the latter. (It also would have been a great slogan to whip out for my kids when they were young!) I’m visiting from Christian Mom Blog Support and I’m so glad I did!
    Wendy

Liked by 1 person

• January 27, 2016 at 9:25 am

Thanks so much for stopping by, Wendy! And for the sweet comment!

3. January 27, 2016 at 8:37 am

Thank you for this reminder & your perspective! For 10 years we have lived in two-story home…with an unfinished 2nd floor. We took the second level down to the studs in preparation to renovate it because the construction was so poor on that level when we bought our house. Then, the means we thought we had to do the renovation became no more due to a sinking economy. We’re still climbing our way back up…the 2nd floor is still undone, and our 3 children still share a bedroom – one of whom is 14. There are often times when I struggle with the fact that this is my truth, for this long. But, when I think about it through an attitude of gratitude, I realize that this truth keeps us humble and that our family relationships are stronger because our living space is smaller.

Liked by 1 person

• January 27, 2016 at 9:27 am

That is so true. The smaller space forces families to spend more time together. That is another great blessing! I do hope that one day you will be able to finish the second floor of your home 🙂 Thanks so much for stopping by and commenting!!

4. February 2, 2016 at 9:53 am

“A bad attitude sure doesn’t leave much aptitude for gratitude.” – what a great quote! And I find, too, that what I tell my daughter (“You need to be patient!” “Stop yelling!”) I should tell myself, too!

Liked by 1 person

• February 2, 2016 at 11:43 am

It’s so true! There are so many things I tell my kids that I need to tell myself more often… like “eat your veggies” 🙂

I would love to hear your thoughts!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s