We Are All Called To Ministry

called to ministry

My family and I attended a church for the second time this past Sunday. Their youth group had just returned from their summer missions trip. A few of the students were sharing testimonies. I was amazed by some of the wisdom pouring out of the mouths of these young people! Such a blessing to witness!

One of them, a boy about 16, shared how it was during this trip that the Lord confirmed that He was ‘calling him to ministry’. When he said this the people in the congregation assumed it meant he was feeling led to become a pastor.

Now, before I go any farther, I just want to say how incredibly awesome it is to see this high school student’s desire to live his life in service to our God. That he is seeking God’s will for his life, discovering his gifts and how the Lord wants him to use them ~ and he has the confidence to stand in front of his church and his peers and confess it!

What I hope he understands is that he does not need to hold the office of “Pastor” to be in ministry! That calling happened the moment he gave his heart and life to Jesus.

In my opinion, it appears this is a mindset in which some of today’s church is living. First, in order to be ministers of the gospel we must first receive some formal qualification or recognition. Second, that ministry only happens within the walls of our church buildings.

My dear friend, this could not be farther from the truth.

We are His ambassadors! 2 Corinth 5:20

We have all been given the ministry of reconciliation! 2 Corinth 5:11-21

When we accepted Jesus as our Lord and Savior, that moment when we became citizens of His kingdom and received the Holy Spirit we were given spiritual gifts (1 Corinth 12) ~ that is the moment we became qualified and called to the ministry!! And for many of us, most of it takes place outside the four walls of our church.

If we think of people in the Bible who were called to minister the gospel, probably one of the first people we think of is Paul. Very little of Paul’s ministry was confined to the temple walls. In fact, much of it happened while behind iron bars (Phil 1:12-26).

So I hope this young man, feeling called to the ministry, realizes that he can be a minister and a pastor ~ at his school, on the football or baseball team, hanging out with his friends at the mall. It’s not something he has to wait for. His calling is now!

The same is true for you and I. Because we have the Holy Spirit and His kingdom dwelling within us, and because we have the commandment to go into all the world to make disciples of nations ~ we have officially been called and qualified for ministry.

Are you are a stay-at-home mom or dad? You are called to be a minister in your home and in your neighborhood.

Are you a working father or mother? You are called to be a minister in your home and at your workplace.

Do you work in real estate? You are called to be a minister to your clients.

Are you a student? You are called to be a minister in your school.

Are you a song-writer? You are called to be a minister through your music.

Are you a blogger? You are called to be a minister to your readers πŸ™‚

I believe ministry is a lifestyle that He desires we all walk in.

LETS HAVE A CONVERSATION!!

Any thoughts?

Were you encouraged in any way by this post? Are you considering how you can be
a minister of the gospel in your everyday life?

Please encourage me by sharing it in the comment section!

I’d love to hear from you!

17 comments for “We Are All Called To Ministry

1. September 2, 2015 at 9:08 pm

This is so true. It is hard to remember that the very simple things we do in life really do matter. Like cleaning out the car, washing toilets, laundry and more laundry. Love your post.

Liked by 1 person

• September 2, 2015 at 9:10 pm

Yes! Piles and piles of laundry! Over and over again πŸ˜‰ Thanks for the support!!!

Liked by 1 person

2. September 2, 2015 at 9:22 pm

This is so true, Megan! From the moment we become believers we are all called to ministry…called to fulfill the great commission. “And Jesus came and said to them, β€œAll authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.” (Matthew 29: 18-20). Luke and I have been reading the book Radical by David Platt, which is such a good book. Anyway, he talks about this same topic…We tend to hear, “Well, I don’t feel called to serve here or there or minister here or there or I’m waiting to see where God is calling me.” But the truth is we are all called to GO make disciples no matter where we are or what we are doing or who we are around. There are people to be reached here and in every nation, so no matter what we are doing we should let Jesus love overflow out of us and into the lives of those around us. Thanks for sharing this message!

• September 3, 2015 at 11:15 am

That book is on my reading list for this year!!! With so many others πŸ™‚ But yes, we are called to GO! Such great insight, Katie! The pastor at the church we’ve been going to said a couple weeks ago that making disciples is not extraordinary work for a christian – it should be our ordinary way of living. I thought that was so good. Also, I heard somewhere awhile back that this verse can be translated “AS you are going..make disciples of all nations…”. It should be part of our everyday rhythm of life.

3. Carla Olson
    September 3, 2015 at 1:42 am

Megan, I agree with you. This week I have been studying the letters to the churches in the book of Revelation and I have been examining my life in light of what the Spirit says to the churches. I agree that we, in todays church, need to listen to the Spirit and heed His warnings about our calling as ambassadors for Christ from the moment we trust Christ as our savior. . Your new blog is insightful and encouraging. I feel blessed to be listening as you share your heart.

• September 3, 2015 at 11:23 am

Thanks so much, Carla! And I absolutely agree with you. “Those who are led by the Spirit of God, these are the sons of God” We need to remain in constant connection with the Spirit and His leading! We need to know and recognize His voice! Times are coming when the world will no longer tolerate the name of Jesus. If we want to reach the lost, we must be willing to take the gospel into the world and not wait for people to come walking into the doors of our churches. Thanks for your comment and encouragement. I want to go read Revelation now πŸ™‚

4. Carlene M. Cogliati
    September 3, 2015 at 10:52 am

So true. Most people inside ‘the walls’ are already called – it’s outside the walls we need to touch the most. Just ask and listen – every day – every moment – Lord, what do you want me to do? Theatre may not seem like an obvious place to be called but I have been. I have spent the majority of my life trying to be an example, not by what I say but by how I live. And now I am in a position to share a viewpoint on love and giving to potentially 100’s of people, many who would not think of going to church but will come see a show far outside church walls.

• September 3, 2015 at 11:30 am

Carlene!! The Lord has positioned you to reach so many lives for Him! I’m so glad to hear that you are using your passion for theater to spread His love and truth!! This is exactly what my heart was behind this post! Taking the gospel into our everyday lives! So awesome! I am praying for you! Keep seeking Him and asking Him to use you to further His Kingdom through your involvement in your passion for theater! He will faithfully lead you. When He gave us the Great Commission He told us..”and I am with you always, even to the end of the age”. He will strengthen you and encourage you as you minister for Him!

5. September 3, 2015 at 10:12 pm

When I surrendered to the music ministry as a teen, I was certain it would be as a profession. Even at the time, though, when people would question me, I would say, “I don’t know. I just know I need to use my music for the Lord.”

It doesn’t have to be glamorous to be service. Thanks for this post.

• September 4, 2015 at 10:18 am

Yes!! Amen!! The simple ways we serve Him are often the greatest! Awesome that you are using your music and passion for Him! Often the rewards we receive in this life don’t seem to be glamorous, but we are storing up treasure in heaven when we choose His glory over our own in this lifetime.

Liked by 1 person

6. September 4, 2015 at 10:36 am

Great post, Megan.
    This is what’s wrong with the Church – to many pew warmers. I think this is an even greater problem in large churches where it’s easy to be a spectator.

• September 4, 2015 at 9:46 pm

So true! My family and I just recently moved out of our home town and are now living in Idaho. We’ve been looking at a couple different churches and praying about where the Lord wants us. One thing we’ve been considering when visiting churches is how we would be able to serve. Neither of us would be content to just be pew-warmers. We want to be using our gifts! Thanks for the comment, Bill! I always appreciate your thoughts and insight!

• September 5, 2015 at 9:21 am

Our church is large, about five thousand people, and there are plenty of opportunities to serve and get involved. Large churches are great if you serve and get plugged in with the small groups…

Liked by 1 person

7. September 4, 2015 at 5:05 pm

This is a very beautiful reminder for me personally. As I go through life, sometimes I need to be reminded my true mission in life. Let’s pray everyday that God lead us to at least someone we can minister today. Thanks for the insightful post πŸ™‚

• September 4, 2015 at 9:48 pm

Amen! So glad you were encouraged! And I agree! Our daily prayer needs to be “Lord, show me how I can, today, further your kingdom!”

Liked by 1 person

8. September 11, 2015 at 11:16 am

You’re absolutely right, Megan. For so many people, the “church” is the building where people go to worship the Lord. It is so much more than a “place”. We are the church. We are all called to ministry, wherever we are, whatever we do.

Thanks for sharing your ministry with us. God bless! Dave πŸ™‚

Liked by 1 person

• September 11, 2015 at 10:00 pm

Amen! Thanks for the encouragement!

I would love to hear your thoughts!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s